Thursday, January 20, 2011

adieu

i just accidentally unearthed an old file.. brought back old memories. from pao to private.

Dear Sir:

I would like to tender my resignation effective January 31, 2005. My stint in the Public Attorney’s Office, though on the short side, was filled with learning and self fulfillment. It was here where I learned the practical and living facet of the legal profession, where the law not only served as the sword for the oppressed and violated but also the shield and armor for the innocents.

I would surely miss the office, attendant pressures and all, especially the times I counseled and mediated warring parties and was able to make them realize that conflicts can be turned into common interests, that sometimes the swiftest way to get legal justice is thru the extra-judicial path, that to compromise is to accept less than what is due them but gain more in the long run. I was proud that although I was still growing my wings, you shoved me from my nest of contentment and let me fly on my own with the eagles of our profession.

But it was not all rosy, I was frustrated that I could not give everyone of my client the best defense available to them mainly because I, and I am very sure everyone in PAO feels the same, do not have the luxury of time to dig deeper in each of their cases lest I forsake the others. It was also difficult to juggle time between my business and my profession, and I couldn’t sacrifice neither.

My fault is that I cared too much, that I wasn’t able to acquire the needed degree of callousness as to let go when one is losing, as to forget when one needs to, as to move on when one has to.

Again, thank you very much. I am about to embark on a new journey. Wish me luck. I am confident that I’d be leaving the office a better person than when I came in, with my head unbowed and comforted with the fact that I did not bring dishonor to the office nor my profession but was able to make a difference to the lives of our clients.

Very truly yours,

Public Defender


No comments: